July 13, 2011

Kym Marsh has defended her right to work

Soap star Kym Marsh has angrily defended working mothers as she was criticised for going back to work after the birth of her baby Polly.

A Twitter user lambasted the actress, who is currently on maternity leave from Coronation Street, for filming an appearance on David Walliams' TV show Wall Of Fame.

Marsh, who struggled to bring up her two eldest children on benefits before finding fame in Hear'say, became a mother again to daughter Polly in March.

The 35-year-old ex-pop star was furious when a user 'Nickackland' labelled Marsh and This Morning presenter Holly Willoughby 'ridiculous' for working while being mothers.

He Tweeted: 'Doesn't know why celebs like @msm4rsh and @hollywills leave their babies for tv it's ridiculous.'

As she re-tweeted his comment for her 59,000 followers, she added: 'Erm... it's called work.'

She then replied directly to him and Willoughby, saying: 'It's called working.....or should we not be working when we have children?? How dare we provide for our kids! Idiot.'

Tweeting her mother Pauline, Marsh continued: 'Can you believe I'm being criticised for WORKING now!! Suppose I should rely on others to provide for my kids should I??! Ha x.

'Makes me laugh that some people think when u have children u should just stay chained to the house!!! We HAVE to work and NEED a life! Fools.'

After a follower pointed out some people on benefits don't have the option to work even if they wanted to, she replied: 'No I didn't mean it like that Hun. I have also been on that side of the coin but I am not gonna be criticised for going to work!

'I do just want to also say that there are people who can't go to work and I have been on that side too but I won't be criticised cos I do x.

'Hey guys I have lived on benefits too cos I couldn't get work that covered the cost of living with two small kids so I sympathise.'

Marsh is set to return to Coronation Street in the autumn after going on early maternity leave in January due to her complicated pregnancy with Polly - who arrived seven weeks early.

The actress was especially careful after her baby son Archie tragically died moments after birth in 2009.

Marsh has previously spoken about her struggle as a single mother with Emily, 13, and David, 16, when they were younger.

After splitting from their father Dave Cunliffe, Marsh moved into an ant-infested, rented terraced house, where she struggled to pay the bills.

She said last year: 'When I was a single parent it was hard. Sometimes I didn't have any money to put in the meter or buy the children toys, but you just have to keep going.'
source

0 comments:

Post a Comment